Pages

Tuesday, April 6

Project #6

I know, I know, you’re thinking… what happened to #4 and #5?! I’m getting there, I promise! I’m having a difficult time choosing my photos so I promise I will come back to them!

In the meantime, I thought it would be appropriate to share one of my new favorite variations on a recipe.

Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl – with some twists!

1/4 c. balsamic vinegar or bourbon (for those of us who are underage, or just don’t have bourbon on hand!)
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, sliced into bite-sized strips
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 1/2 c. sliced onion
1 can low-sodium beef broth (14oz.)
1 c. water
1 c. cubed sweet potato (about 4oz.)
1 cup (approximately) dry kluski or other short egg noodles
2 cups loosely packed spinach

Just some things to note: Marinade for at least 15 minutes, so the beef has a chance to soak in this amazing flavor. Bourbon has a bite to it for an aftertaste, so if you aren’t used to this the vinegar works just as well! Also, I often fudge the measurements because I prefer more of a “soup” noodle bowl, and I love the hearty ingredients in this recipe.

Combine bourbon, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add beef, mixing to coat. I prefer to marinade in a plastic bag, less dishes!

 DSC00526

Cover and marinate beef 15 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Drain beef through a sieve over a bowl, reserving the remaining marinade. Don’t forget to save it! It adds great flavor to the whole dish.

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until browned, about 3 minutes, remove from pan; set aside. Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and sauté onion for 5 minutes. I rough slice my onions because I prefer that they have the same look and eventual consistency as the noodles, but you could chop them as well, whatever your preference.

 DSC00544

Stir in reserved marinade, broth, and water. Add sweet potato and bring to boil; Add noodles. This is where it becomes all about what you like as the end result. I prefer more remaining broth when all is said and done so I will add in 1/4 c. additional broth and 1/4 c. additional water as the liquid is cooked down so I can keep that consistency. If you prefer a traditional noodle bowl, be sure to stir as you cook so it doesn’t burn.

DSC00539

These are the noodles I use. This bag will make 4 batches for me (heaping portions) so it’s a value choice.

Cook until sweet potatoes are tender and noodles are done, about 8 minutes. Stir in beef and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.

 DSC00561

I love this photo, all the colors look  so fantastic together, I want to make myself a batch right now…

So that’s the recipe! The recipe technically makes 2 servings, but it’s so filling, I can usually get 3 or 4 out of the same amount of ingredients, and I just supplement with a slice or two of soft French loaf.  I hope you give it a try, and let me know how it turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment