Pages

Monday, March 28

Have you heard about bento?

I’m fascinated by this! I’ve seen pictures, read blogs, and now I’m totally and entirely caught up by this phenomena. Have a look and tell me what you think….

mosaic760d6644c54e446e97befe89778fd2ecf154c439(Source: Mimiwu on Flickr)

Umm, Yum! I am thrilled with this concept. Something that helps portion control, promotes healthy & colorful eating, and the money-saving convenience of making my own meals. All good things—all really good things. I’m totally confused when it comes to a few key components of these awesome lunches: rice, boxes, and time. Lets start at the beginning, I guess.

Rice: My mom is an amazing cook. She cooked professionally for a while, and still loves to entertain. I inherited some of her skill, but rice was not one of those. You see, I burn rice. Most always, my rice will turn out like this:

(Photo via Just.One.More.Bite.)

I honestly can’t do this. Yet. I want to be able to make rice. I love rice… so tasty! How on earth do I do this??? How can I manage to make rice without a HUGE rice cooker taking up valuable cupboard space?

Bento Boxes: They have every stinkin’ style of these possible!  I have found some I love, but I just don’t know if I can make that leap yet. I have seen some who just use Tupperware, or the locking food storage dishes. I’m not quite sure what to do, but I think I’m going to try using something I have for the time being, then if I get the hang of this I will find an actual bento box.

(Source: JList)

Time: So about that…. In the time it has taken me to write this blog post, I probably could have cooked enough meals for this week and complete a bento box for every lunch in this same amount of time. Where I lack time though, is in the morning, before leaving the house. Then I lack serious time. I’m more of a roll out of bed and put on whatever is comfortable, clean, and cute before leaving. Oh clock, you are not my friend.

(Even though you look SO tasty…. via ThisNext)

I am just dreaming right now, I suppose, but it all looks so tasty. I’m going to be hungry all through work now, but I suppose this all will have to wait until another day, and another lunch. But we’ll see I guess….

No comments:

Post a Comment